Monday, November 9, 2009

6 mile hill

October 23

I start this day with my largest hill of the trip. 6 miles of uphill through a beautiful redwood forest. 6 miles of uphill is downright intimidating. However, it wasnt just downhill. I have to say that when you're on a 6 mile uphill, it's really depressing to have downhill segments on the climb, cause you know you're going to have to climb it again. But at least I didn't have 110 pounds of gear, right? On the way up, I stopped at a lookout where I met a dude who did my journey back in 1947... on a fourspeed. Woow. On hills he would have to change components and chains and gears and change back on flat stretches. Makes my journey seem like a cinch.

The 1000 foot descent was increeeedible. So at the top of the climb there was road work, which, you know, usually sucks. However when there's road work that makes for a one lane road, that means there are stretches of time when there is no traffic in one direction. So the whole road was MINE! Oh I was flying, watching the coast, and angel winging it down the hill. Soon after I took a picture of a 40 foot blue ox, you know, Blue or whatever, teabagging me. Then karma hit me and my pffft. Turns out my wheel isnt attaching to the bike correctly and I can't move. I hitchike for the first time in my life and Arcaaata woooo.

Jesse Shrader, a friend from home goes to Humboldt State and lives in the coolest digs ever. He lives in CCAT house, a super environmental house with walls painted with flour, a bicycle powered blender and television, solar powered heating, and tons of other neat stuff. Linguine dinner and Jesse has a little break dancing party, but I fall asleep at 8 pm because i'm an old man

No comments:

Post a Comment