Sunday, October 25, 2009

October 7

October 7
52ish miles (broken odometer)
Roadkill count: 8 snakes 1 raccoon

after 13 hours of sleep, the fog had lifted and I began my trek at noon, biking around the hood canal till I got to a hill, which I dissappointingly and embarassingly had to walk, no, haul my 70 pound bike up due to the broken gears. A wonderful ride through forests and pAst lakes with austere houses lining them followed. People here named 
their houses "sandra's playa" or "glocca morra." I was positively enchanted. It thrilled me that anyone in their yard waved and called out hello to me. Yay humanity!
In Shelton, I was greeted by a bronco driver yelling explitives at me, but also by a man at a local burger place who had just done the same journey as I haas just started. We talked a bit, he gave me advice and I was on my way. 

Leading into Shelton was a long 1 mile hill. Man I hate down hills. Because youKNOW there's going to be an uphill to compensate. Sure enough the next 6 miles were a slew of uphills. I passed one house Along this section with about 4 private property signs, an equal number of beware of dogs, and a pungent odor of weed. I stopped off the side of a road on a hill for the night and watched the sunset as bedtime hit me. (7 pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment