Sunday, October 25, 2009

Struck still by sights

October 16
44 miles
Just couldn't get my head in the game today. Start stop, start stop, but it's really hard to get my mind on biking when there are such cool sights to see. Saw a bunch of seals (~75) just lying on the sand while crossing a bridge. The coAstal views are just breathtaking. 
There was a spot off cape perpetua that halted me for a good hour. I tried to capture it in an image but it was impossible. The gray clouds cause an intense white balance problem, similar to when my father and I were in Canada this summer. This particular spot had 2 houses just off some coastal cliff/tidepools. I sat there eating sour punch and wanted to watch the waves forever. The sun peaked through at times and created a dazzling glisten over the surface and on the crashing waves. I was truly tempted to sit there till dark and try to hitch hike to the next campsite. It's times like that that I wish I were in my car and had the freedom to do such a thing. 
I ran out of food and the grocery store on the way to the campground didn't actually exist, leaving me to ask p&j for oatmeal. My I love oatmeal. 
Two guys also came into our campground riding on mountain tires. These Brits were on a journey from Alaska to panama. Holy crap! The roads in Alaska and I assume Mexico aren't all paved, leaving bikers on such a journey to wield thicker tires. I can't imagine biking that far with that much friction. AppArently in Alaska and Canada you can go 500 miles between grocery stores, meaning you have to carry a ton of food with you, which isn't easy. 
It turns out they're one of two teams doing a documentary called "cycling across the Americas." the other team started in panama and went down. Filming seems like a task I would want no part of, requiring putting up a tripod and riding by it again and again.  Boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment